Post processing 3D prints is not fun in my opinion, mainly because I hate the sanding involved to get a smooth finish. In this video I present two methods to get an injection moulded quality smooth and glossy surface. I also cover using a hair dryer to remove stringing, and the art of flocking to add a soft and furry surface similar to felt.
All of these techniques are effective, although I definitely need much more practise with the flocking to get an even result.
Some safety warning beyond what I mentioned in the video:
– Acetone and isopropyl alcohol are dangerous to inhale and get in your eyes. Please work in a well ventilated area and wear safety glasses.
– Both are flammable.
– Both are not ideal for your skin, however acetone is used as nail polish remover and IPA to clean open wounds.
– Any time you heat either of these liquids, they will evaporate quickly and the hazard of combustion and inhalation increases dramatically.
– Acetone will destroy many surfaces if spilled on them.
– The flock powder doesn’t seem hazardous but obviously it could cause irritation if it gets in your eyes or throat. Fortunately I found it cleaned up easily and didn’t stick to surfaces.
Please share this video with someone artistic to see what they can do with these techniques.
Polysher (Aus): https://www.x3d.com.au/store/product/49496-polymaker-polysher
Polysher (Amazon): https://amzn.to/2DAKPrK
Polysmooth filament (Aus): https://www.x3d.com.au/store/product/49454-polysmooth-pvb-750g
Polysmooth (Amazon): https://amzn.to/2DFDhUK
Flock (eBay Aus): https://ebay.to/2Vzg40C
Flock (Amazon): https://amzn.to/2GRt35I
Models featured in this video:
Flock applicator: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2965369/
Low poly fox: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:937740/
Low poly skull: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:906562/
Mistral E fan duct: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3255518
Simple vase: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18672
Gummy Bear: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1142284/
Ender 5 bed support struts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3479330/
Buy quality and affordable filament from X3D. Buy 3, get 1 free and a free sample pack with every order: www.x3d.com.au
Take a look around and if you like what you see, please subscribe.
Support me on Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/teachingtech
#3dprinting #postprocessing #flocking .(tagsToTranslate)3d printing(t)3d print(t)3d printer(t)3d printed(t)post processing(t)easy(t)no sanding(t)abs(t)pla(t)polysmooth(t)pvb(t)acetone(t)ipa(t)isopropal alcohol(t)isoprponyl(t)rice cooker(t)smoothing(t)vapour smoothing(t)gloss(t)shiny(t)smooth(t)remove layer lines(t)printing(t)strength(t)tested(t)stringing(t)remove stringing(t)flock(t)flocking(t)applicator(t)furry(t)fuzzy(t)fur(t)fuzz(t)soft(t)x3d